18 April, 2014

Tallying the Warning Signs, It’s Time

“Fat fuck!”

Most unfortunate words to measure by. But measure we must, especially now. They represent, I wager, a point of no return for this Capitals club — under this leadership regime.

One thing about wearing hockey no. 8 in Washington — you know the high-definition cameras are ever on you, from numerous angles, and on November 1, late in the evening against Anaheim, the Capitals’ captain, unceremoniously benched for a game-deciding shift, knew full well his obscene reaction would be captured for all the world to see.

The conventional interpretation at the time was that the fiery captain was merely giving vent to frustration. His competitive combativeness just got the better of him, you know. Certainly the Capitals would have you believe that. Problem is, this is not a fiery captain. Also, not an accomplished one. In fact, this season, he’s largely a lethargic, very minus-skating, very ordinary looking captain. Another problem with that initial interpretation is that the Capitals and their captain had already started their standings descent under this coach, again, and the circumstances that have followed the remainder of this November fairly beg for a reconsideration of that remarkable moment. Prior to November 1, when did you ever encounter a moment of such insolence from the guy wearing the ‘C’ on your beloved team’s sweater? Not in this town, not with this team.

This morning, we could look back on November 1 and Ovi’s outburst and deem it a moment of contempt . . . a mutinous moment, in fact.

And if the captain isn’t all in, what’s the likelihood all his teammates are? It would be interesting, would it not, to poll all those Hockey News writers and editors who fancied the Caps the Cup favorite back in late summer, this very morning, and see where they stand now.

* * * * *

For me, the very first serious warning sign arrived early in April 2010, just days before the start of that season’s postseason. The Capitals, running away with the Southeast division en route to a 121-pt. regular season, went to Columbus and held off an under-manned but tenacious Bluejackets team, winning 3-2. After the game, Bluejackets center R. J. Umberger told the Columbus Dispatch that the Capitals were a bunch of floaters, that theirs wasn’t a game ready for the prime time of the postseason. In the humility-laden sport of pro hockey, this was a serious callout.

“A good defensive team is going to beat them (in the playoffs),” Umberger told the Dispatch. “If you eliminate your turnovers and keep them off the power play, they’re going to get frustrated because they’re in their zone a lot.” Umberger’s comments proved prescient; about three weeks later the Montreal Canadiens would author one of the great shockers in the history of NHL postseason hockey, eliminating the 121-pt. Caps in the first round, executing with unwavering discipline a bunched-in box of a defensive shell against Gabby’s floaters. Bruce Boudreau’s postseason ledger in Washington fell to 1-3. For me, that series was a serious warning sign.

* * * * *

Aside from the particulars of Umberger’s critique, in a larger sense he was calling into question the Capitals’ identity. Failure, which Umberger forecasted a fait accompli for the Caps, would render Bruce Boudreau’s finesse attack a fad. There are few critiques more derisive of a hockey team than being branded “floaters.” Umberger played a key role in the Flyers’ team that dispatched Gabby’s Caps in round one in April 2008.

Saturday night in Buffalo, facing a Sabres team ludicrously beyond depleted by injury — nine regulars missing from the Buffalo lineup — Capitals skaters opted to sit back and attack their wet-behind-the-ears adversaries with a patient, largely forecheck-free strategy of counter-punching. In its conclusion the 5-1 debacle — the second consecutive Saturday night massacre against a slightly better than average American Hockey League outfit — occasioned a near aneurysm from Comcast’s Alan May on ‘Capitals Postgame.’  “This is a hockey team without an identity,” May sternly lamented.

May’s in-studio broadcast partner, Al Koken, was left similarly crestfallen and rage-filled by the shocking showing. He directed a very big-picture question to the very unsuspecting game call team of Joe B and Craig during the postgame, asking the duo to reflect on “where this organization is” right now. Not a question merely about a seriously struggling hockey team, but an interrogatory directed at the heart of the organization as a whole. A commendably gutsy bit of journalism on Koken’s part. Watching on television, a viewer in that moment felt the discomfort it caused the game’s broadcasters. Joe B was able only to stammer out something about the Caps needing better goaltending, as if this team was merely a Band-Aid between the pipes away from prosperity, then followed with speculation that things may be so dire that Gabby would have to return to his now infamous trap of a season ago. Imagine.

Question: How is it possible that four years into Gabby’s tenure we are at pains to identify an identity for this $60 million hockey club?

This is quite literally the case: on any given night, no matter the standing of the opponent, and certainly no matter the volume of regulars potentially missing from the foe’s lineup, we have no idea what Capitals team will show up. We also have no idea what Capitals team will show up from period to period.

I consider this a gravely serious warning sign.

* * * * *

Much was made in the preseason of what was perceived to be savvy veteran additions brought in during the offseason by general manager George McPhee. In hindsight, too often the Capitals competed in the postseason in recent years with too inexperienced a lineup, the theory went. This fall, we are learning that this notably more experienced team is mentally, psychologically fragile. Karl Alzner addressed this trait head-on in the aftermath of last Friday night’s blowout loss to the Rangers.

Mentally weak hockey clubs reflect poorly on that team’s leadership. Put another way: How often have you heard it said of Babcock’s Wings or Bylsma’s Pens that they yield a goal or two at inopportune times and . . . turtle?

I consider this yet another warning sign.

* * * * *

That 7-0 start to the season seems positively aberrational. We were startled by the commitment the Capitals showed then to crashing the opposition cage, to getting goals in the proverbial ‘ugly’ fashion — the way you need to in the postseason. It didn’t last. This month, most often, when the Capitals prevail it’s been in a white-knuckle affair, no matter the caliber of opponent. When they lose, which is often, often they’re blown out. This, too, I consider a dire warning sign.

* * * * *

More gutsy journalism: Saturday night the Washington TimesDan Daly directed a tweet my way in which he alleged that the Capitals are big on marketing and branding but conspicuous under-achievers with what really matters. What’s amazing is that the Caps go to such great lengths to create a “brand,” and yet they have no “identity,” Daly tweeted. Again with the identity issue. I hadn’t truly reflected in such fashion until prompted to by Daly. I confess, painfully: I am 100 percent in agreement with him.

* * * * *

By no means is this viewpoint meant to scapegoat Bruce Boudreau. In fact, whether he stays or goes, there remain gravely serious questions about Ovechkin’s fitness for team captain. And what of this fragile team psyche meme that Alzner honed in on? Maybe it’s a byproduct of an organization spending years overly catering toward, and coddling, it’s $10 million dollar man. “Branding” rather than competing especially well, as Dan Daly puts it.

I chatted about this whole mess with my father last night. He and I enjoyed an amazing father-son weekend for the Winter Classic up in Pittsburgh almost a year ago. I told him, Pops, you know what I enjoyed most about that weekend? As magnificent as the Red Army was in that football stadium during the national anthem, as euphoric as our victory walk out of it was at night’s end, what I enjoyed most was the thoroughly unexpected performance of the Capitals’ alumni against the vaunted and much younger and much more star-studded Pens alumni. It was just like old times. We out-worked them. We out-hustled them. We battled til the end. We stunned them.

I want that Capitals ethos back. Do whatever it takes to secure it.

1. Joetink wrote:

I hated the way you opened this column because it does little more than inflame, but I loved the way you ended it. Through all of this, Alzner has played with purpose, with stability. You can hear his voice directing traffic away from a forecheck. In the Langway mold, he could anchor floaters to their tasks at hand. The Caps need him to wear the C.

28 November, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink
  2. Martin wrote:

What a non-native English speaker like me likes about your posts is that with each post I have to open merriam-webster on the side and look-up words. This time it was “aneurysm”. It makes me feel better—I’m not merely wasting time reading hockey blogs, I’m educating myself! Your literary style aside, I agree with the identity crisis completely. Also, I was taken aback by Boudrau’s comment along the lines: “They can’t seem to get motivated”. This is not the first time I hear him shifting largely his responsibilities to the team. How about “I can’t get them motivated”?

Now the Monday morning talk: Can someone remind me why CAPS sold Valramov? Can someone enlighten me why does Jeff Schutz play in NHL?

28 November, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink
  3. Geo wrote:

You got your wish, OFB!

Capitals Fire Bruce Boudreau; DALE HUNTER named new head coach

If Dale Flops and our Caps become the Redskins of the NHL, I hope all of BB’s naysayers will remember the adage, “Be careful what you wish for.” :D I’ll be rooting for Dale though to instill toughness, discipline and accountability which Bruce, bless him, tried so hard to do this year.

28 November, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink
  4. sean wrote:

Well bye bye BB, I loved him and hated him at the same time. I think most fans are in agreement that the C needs to go to someone else. Great reading on a monday with so many of us brain-dead, coffee and OFB can get the synapses firing again.

28 November, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink
  5. Ray in Bowie wrote:

Dale’s Job 1: He gets in Ovechkin’s grill & says “prove to me you deserve to remain the captain of this team.”

28 November, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink
  6. Cate wrote:

Forgive me, I’m a relatively new hockey fan (grew up in the South), so I know I speak from much ignorance. But beginning last season, I noticed that whenever Green is out or not playing well, the Caps just die. It’s as if they’re the Colts minus Manning. Does this say anything about the coaching or construction of this team?

28 November, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink
  7. tracy wrote:

New bench boss,
    please toughen up our defensemen. I cringe whenever I see Schultz playing out there like he is made of glass. Our post season is going to need physical players just as badly as it needs finesse.
    signed, a Caps fan breathing a sigh of relief

28 November, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink
  8. Mike wrote:

And, of course, Ted uses the phrase “brand awareness” in the press release firing Bruce. Next thing we know, we were “thinking outside the box” when we hired Dale.

28 November, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink
  9. joyfulleigh18 wrote:

This post is why whenever Caps news hits the airwaves I come HERE before solidifying my opinion. I am an unabashed Gabby fan. I know we’ve been in trouble this season, but I also feel like he resurrected this team out of nothing and has deserved a bit more flexibility, a longer leash than a GM might afford a coach with a different history with this team. So I needed to read your take on it to help me answer the question of just how long the leash should be, how the suits know that firing him now is the right choice. I appreciate your analysis very much, p&b.

28 November, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink
  10. sonja wrote:

Thank you!

That benching in early November was a rubicon moment only because Bruce did not use it correctly. Instead of making excuses for Oveckin, he needed to just continue the lesson, making #8 the healthy scratch for the next game. Lesson #1 in all of life is that you don’t disrespect the boss. If Bruce had taken that on and fought it out with everything he had, we’d be talking about an entirely different team right now. It would be a team that still had him at the helm and he would have their respect.

If you’re going to pick your battles, then you fight to win. I hope Dale Hunter knows that.

28 November, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink
  11. Geo wrote:

OFB should certainly reference its older posts like this one — very prescient? :)

28 November, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
  12. OvieTracker wrote:

Maybe it is true that Ovechkin’s mutinous moment the night of November 1 doomed Boudreau. Maybe that mutinous act had a domino effect of the rest of the team following Ovechkin’s example and tuning Boudreau out. Brilliant. Their lethargy and ennui over the past 15 games was the death knell for Boudreau.

Now Dale Hunter is in place as the new head coach and, as RAY IN BOWIE said, his first order of business is to get in Ovechkin’s face, challenge his pride to PROVE he deserves the C. Challenge him to either start leading by example, or else give the captaincy up to someone else who can. Plain and simple. Accountability at last.

28 November, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink
  13. runtymom wrote:

This from Wysh on PuckDaddy;

“Would Coach Dale Hunter have the chance, with the backing of management, to change captains if he saw fit?
    “That’s not going to happen,” said McPhee.

I am a Pens fan, not a Caps fan so I have no horse in this race. But I fear the firing of Oompa Loompa and hiring of Hunter will do nothing since Emo McPhee has made it clear there will be no change in the C in Washington. Good luck getting a new team identity with Ovi wearing the C. He may be a great player, but he is not a leader.

28 November, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
  14. xke4me wrote:

I agree with Ray in Bowie, but I’d take it a step further. Each person on the teach should earn their ice time. That means going to practices, even the “optional” ones, toning down the partying and getting rid of the mindset that ice time is proportional to their paycheck.

28 November, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink
  15. @ RUNTYMOM Remember that a GM’s “vote of confidence” in a coach or player means nothing — how many times (in all sports) have we heard an owner or GM say a coach’s job is 100% safe, only to fire him the next day? Particularly with GMGM, what he says is a smoke screen as often as it’s the truth (c.f. every draft ever).

McPhee said what had to be said today, but will stay far away from the “C” decision. That is Hunter’s alone.

28 November, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink
  16. I thought about the captaincy issue a great deal late this afternoon. Here’s where I am: Today is not a day to enter that fray. It’s a day to thank a special coach for four years of tremendous service — he truly played a role in putting hockey on the map in D.C. — and celebrate an unprecedented moment of new leadership. This organization had never before tapped an alumnus to lead the team, let alone a legend alum. I find it a dizzying moment.

28 November, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink
  17. eire dc wrote:

P&B, thank you for your thoughtful analysis; well written. Thank you also for correctly identifying Ovie’s Nov. 1 utterance as mutinous. I only wish BB had responded in kind with what I thought at the time and still do today towards our illustrious captain, “Classless, lazy fuck.”

Thank you, Gabby, for your dedication to our Caps. I only wish some of the the millionaires playing for you shared your commitment.

28 November, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. Caps Alumni Dale Hunter New Head Coach » We Love DC on Monday, November 28, 2011 at 8:28 am

[...] of ‘clydeorama’ Early this morning the Caps dropped a major post-holiday bombshell. (Not that we didn’t see it coming.) Former Caps captain Dale Hunter has been announced as the team’s new head coach, replacing [...]