23 April, 2014

Winter Classic Sweater Is Caps’ “New” Third Jersey

The Washington Capitals will revel in retro this season: 16 away games will have the Caps in white throwback jerseys, with red pants and white helmets.

Per the Caps’ press release, here are the opponents who will see the old-school look… one can only hope that those teams with throwback sweaters of their own will follow suit (apologies for the pun). It would be great to see the Devils in their old pizza-box unis, the Habs rocking the stripes, and so cool if the Jets break out their original kit.

• Saturday, Nov. 26 at Buffalo Sabres 7 p.m.
  • Friday, Dec. 23 at New Jersey Devils 7 p.m.
  • Wednesday, Jan. 18 at Montreal Canadiens 7:30 p.m.
  • Friday, Jan. 20 at Carolina Hurricanes 7 p.m.
  • Sunday, Jan. 22 at Pittsburgh Penguins 3 p.m.
  • Saturday, Feb. 4 at Montreal Canadiens 2 p.m.
  • Sunday, Feb. 12 at New York Rangers 3 p.m.
  • Monday, Feb. 20 at Carolina Hurricanes 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, Feb. 25 at Toronto Maple Leafs 7 p.m.
  • Saturday, March 10 at Boston Bruins 1 p.m.
  • Friday, March 16 at Winnipeg Jets 8:30 p.m.
  • Sunday, March 18 at Chicago Blackhawks 6 p.m.
  • Monday, March 19 at Detroit Red Wings 7:30 p.m.
  • Thursday, March 22 at Philadelphia Flyers 7 p.m.
  • Monday, April 2 at Tampa Bay Lightning 7 p.m.
  • Saturday, April 7 at New York Rangers 3 p.m.

1. Grooven wrote:

They should really kick it old school with the oversized individual letters instead of a crest. But I’m glad the stars are back.

16 September, 2011 at 9:58 am | Permalink
  2. 100% agree on both counts, Grooven. I hope they do the stars on the pants too, rather than solid red or just side piping.

16 September, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink
  3. Caps FnVA wrote:

I wish they would bring back the screaming eagle jerseys

16 September, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink
  4. @ CAPS FNVA, I like the idea of a blue Third some day, but I can’t imagine they’ll bring back the screaming eagle. Then again, I made clear my preference for a third sweater back in ’08:

16 September, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink
  5. Sam wrote:

The Caps site says that they are “modeled after” the Winter Classic jerseys. Did they make any noticeable changes?

16 September, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink
  6. @SAM, they haven’t released photos of the new ones yet — but I haven’t heard of any changes other than no longer having the WC info stitched on the inside collar.

16 September, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
  7. Dougeb wrote:

Mike, I second your motion to create a weagle-based third jersey, in blue with a red weagle. Very cool.

16 September, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink
  8. Cathy W wrote:

I found it really strange that an announcement of Ovechkin signing a personal equipment deal with Bauer is made into an event by the team. Yet the announcement of a third jersey that all the Caps players will wear is a press release with no photo of the actual jersey.

17 September, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink