21 April, 2014

Caps Like Laich

Per the official press release:

The Washington Capitals have re-signed center Brooks Laich to a six-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We are very pleased to have Brooks Laich continue his career as a Washington Capital,” said McPhee. “Brooks has excelled as one of the League’s finer two-way players and is just entering his prime. His combination of size, speed, versatility and leadership makes him a valuable part of our club.”

Laich, 28, finished fourth on the Capitals in points (48), fifth in goals (16) and third in assists (32) while posting a plus-14 plus/minus rating and collecting 46 penalty minutes. For the third time in his career, he played in all 82 of Washington’s regular-season games and finished second on the Caps with 207 shots on goal. In addition, Laich closed out the 2010-11 campaign fifth on the team in hits (113) and won 51.3 percent of his faceoffs. He scored his 100th career NHL goal on Mar. 15 at Montreal and finished second on the team in points during the playoffs (7) while leading the Caps with six postseason assists in nine games. Laich also finished first amongst Capitals forwards in average shorthanded ice time per game (2:18) and was instrumental in leading the Caps penalty kill unit that ranked second in the NHL during the regular season.

“I’m thrilled to make the commitment to remain a Capital,” said Laich. “It is a wonderful organization with terrific fans and I’m very happy to continue to call Washington home for many years to come.”

1. Harold wrote:

Awesome news! Good piece of work by GMGM.

28 June, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  2. Eric wrote:

This is ridiculous. SIX years?? The guy’s a solid player, good leader, but a) he’s probably better suited for the third line and b) WHAT HAS THIS TEAM WON WITH BROOKS LAICH??

28 June, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink
  3. Eric wrote:

OMG…..27.5 Million? ARE YOU SERIOUS?? So we’ve just used the entire cap increase on one player. Great job, GMGM…..ugh

28 June, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink
  4. sonja wrote:

This is very hopeful news!! Huzzah! :)

28 June, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink
  5. gg wrote:

Good deal! This is what I’ve been waiting to hear about.

28 June, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink
  6. sentientcheese wrote:

… wow kneejerk reactions.
    A) this is not 27 per. Its 27 over 6 years so about 4.5 per. Possibly too much but whatever.

B) what have we won with Ovechkin, green, semin etc? Patience, while fleeting is important. Oh and we won the presidents cup, not that it matters. This is not basketball, one cog does not make a team.. but god help us if that one cog breaks down or is inefficient.

Let’s go caps.

28 June, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink
  7. sentientcheese wrote:

… wow kneejerk reactions.

B) what have we won with Ovechkin, green, etc? Patience, while fleeting is important. Oh and we won the presidents cup, not that it matters. This is not basketball, one cog does not make a team.. but god help us if that one cog breaks down or is inefficient.

Let’s go caps.

28 June, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink
  8. EnzoBigBlue wrote:

I love Laich but this is way too much and way too long for a 3rd line player on our team. He is not a top 2 Center on our team and he is also probably our 3rd line winger. I don’t get the capitals unless we are dumping Green and signing Hannon for less money. I will be patient before I loose my mind to see our other trades and signings.

28 June, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink
  9. sean wrote:

Brooks was listed as the #2 choice after Richards, so he could have got this kind of money or more on the market. We are a better team with him on our team than not. Also with Varly not wanting to play here, the usual Semin rumors and even rumblings of Green leaving I think changes are on the way.

28 June, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink
  10. Greg wrote:

I like Laich. I think in stepping back and looking at this deal – it’s ok. Without taking the UFA market into consideration, he was due a raise, most likely to around 3 – 3.5 mil/yr. Because of the market and the amount of the cap increasing, a premium was paid. Wait and see what happens now with him off the market. I bet guys like Leino and Flash get contracts that are much higher than they would have otherwise received. Also, there may be more RFAs getting offer sheets as teams will be willing to give up draft picks to sign some of them. The UFA market isn’t that strong. The length of the contract is where I have a concern. I would have liked to see it around 3-4 years. Nothing was mentioned about a no move/no trade clause. Hopefully this contract doesn’t contain one.

28 June, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink
  11. Greg wrote:

I also think that Laich can fill the position of 2nd line winger or 3C for us. He has shown some chemistry with Semin. I think with a solid 2nd line center (good playmaker with some goal scoring threat) and a sniper (Semin when he’s on), Laich is a good fit. I don’t think he’s a 2C, but would be able to also play 3C.

28 June, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
  12. Geo wrote:

If you judge Brooksie by points alone then the deal makes no sense. If you judge him by versatility, toughness, leadership and being a “heart ‘n soul” guy, then it’s great.

I still see Swiss cheese-like holes in my favorite hockey team but locking up Brooks, signing a young player who’s won a Cup and loves to hit, and putting D Tyler Sloan on waivers are steps in the right direction, imho.

28 June, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink
  13. Valleycapsfan wrote:

Laich is my kind of player, but six years seems a bit much. Didn’t GM learn from the deal with Jagr? Nylander? Maybe even Backstrom?

28 June, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink
  14. Mike Rucki wrote:

This deal is a good one for the Capitals. The salary cap goes up every year, and he’s the type of player the team needs to CLONE, not nickle-and-dime.

I’ve always felt Laich should have inherited the “C” rather than Ovechkin. I’m not saying Ovi is a bad captain — but I’d rather let Ovie focus on scoring, hitting, and scaring the bejeezus out of the other team while someone else (Laich) is the leader on and off the ice.

But as soon as Crosby got the “C”, we all knew Ovie would too.

29 June, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink
  15. Geo wrote:

From what players say, the letters don’t mean much beyond designating that the Captain or the alternate talks to refs about certain things. It’s not like a player can’t give a locker room pep talk unless he has a letter on his chest. So I’d also be all for just letting Ovy and Backy focus on their games last year.

Arnott is apparently going to “test” free agency. I suspect if there’s no interest maybe GMGM tries to sign him for one year at a reduced number.

I guess I remain nervous about 2nd center because isn’t this (gmgm saying he’d like Laich at center more) like last year when he said the same about Flash?

30 June, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink
  16. Geo wrote:

Ohhh, Halpern is coming back home. :) Not a bad one-season deal at just $825,000, according to various reports.

1 July, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink
  17. DONNAB wrote:

ok, so, maybe i am the only one that is wondering about the trade/buying/selling frenzy, but please anyone out there ( Mike Rucki) with comments and thoughts please write. I don’t understand some of the buying.

2 July, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink