24 April, 2014

Rocking for Goals with the Washington Capitals

DC-101′s Elliot Segal of Elliot in the Morning has provided a terrific Caps-related opportunity for DC-area musicians:

Attention all hockey fans, the Washington Capitals want you to “score.” The Caps want a creative, original song made by you to be played after every goal the team scores for the rest of the 2009-2010 season. So, that said, do whatever you think will win – just make sure your piece is original, creative, and two (2) minutes max in length. The deadline to submit audio is Friday, February 26th.

Grand Prize: One (1) autographed team jersey and four (4) tickets to hear your song debut when the Washington Capitals take on the Tampa Bay Lightning – Thursday, March 4th (7:00 p.m.) at Verizon Center.

Given the Caps’ impressive goal-scoring totals this season, here’s an amazing chance to get your song heard early & often.

Check out the details of the contest and kick your musical talent into high gear. And if the task seems daunting, don’t let that stop you from trying; just remember: anything’s better than Gary Glitter.

1. Caps Blahg wrote:

That’s BS. Screaming “YOU SUCK!” during the chorus of “Rock n’ Roll Pt. 2″ can never be topped.

16 February, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Permalink
  2. Eric wrote:

I gotta say, I think this is a rare miss by the Caps’ marketing crew. Mostly because it involves EITM.

16 February, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Permalink
  3. vt caps fan wrote:

Eric- hate on EITM all you want, but the man is a caps fan. And the fact he loves this team gives the caps a huge advocate on the air waves. I know quite a few folks who started paying attention to the caps because of EITM and are now caps fans.

He might not be for everyone – but he is for the Caps.

Too bad I have zero musical skills or else I’d put something together.

16 February, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Permalink
  4. Must be a Junkies fan.

16 February, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink
  5. That song is just plain horrible.

16 February, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
  6. Let’s at least agree that that the winning band should not emulate Gary Glitter’s off-ice activities…

16 February, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Permalink
  7. ALEX wrote:

What about the jam Darkest Hour put together for the Caps a couple seasons back? It still owns: http://www.myspace.com/letsgocapsmusic

16 February, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink
  8. Tyler wrote:

Hey, what’s so bad about Gary Glitter? (phone rings) Hello?… Yeah…Uh? Hmm….Wow, yeah that’s pretty bad… Ok. (hangs up). I retract my question. Now, please, if you are talented enough to make a song, please channel a good band. I’m sick of this Starbucks-approved “metal” crap.

16 February, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Permalink
  9. Alex wrote:

Ugh. I’m with Eric on this one, minus a little of the anti-Elliot sentiment. Yes, he’s a tool, but he’s a radio show host, and that’s what he kind of has to be to keep that media outlet on life support. And yes, he is a huge Caps fan and has brought a lot of attention to the team and brought many new fans in, and for that, I appreciate his efforts.
    On this contest though, the Caps staff spent a lot of time and money to develop the in-game entertainment, and I’m a little surprised they’re letting Elliot hijack their production with this promotion. Yes, Gary Glitter’s songs aren’t something you’d listen to in your car during your morning commute, but stuff like that, along with Air Horn, the Hockey Song and Bruce’s organ music are part of hockey culture. Cheesy as it may be, it’s part of the experience, and I don’t want the excitement of a Caps goal to be washed out by a crappy garage band song.
    Can’t the Caps just buy the rights to Brass Bonanza?

17 February, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink
  10. As a father, I find no place for Gary Glitter’s songs anywhere.

17 February, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. On Frozen Blog › Sandbox Kings are Goal Song Kings on Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 11:16 am

[...] yesterday. As long as the Caps score one goal tonight, they’ll debut a new song as well. As we previously mentioned, the Caps in conjunction with Elliot in the Morning on DC101 hosted a contest to establish a new [...]