17 April, 2014

SnowBomb II on Its Way

Another Snowbomb is headed our way, timed to white-out another Washington weekend:

URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
245 PM EST WED FEB 3 2010

…WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING…

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE…SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS…THIS STORM IS LIKELY TO PRODUCE 12 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IN THE WATCH AREA…WITH A GOOD CHANCE FOR LOCALIZED AMOUNTS OVER 20 INCHES.

* TIMING…SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN LATE MORNING
FRIDAY…CONTINUING THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING.

* TEMPERATURES…HIGHS IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S FRIDAY. FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY…TEMPERATURES WILL BE 25 TO 30 DEGREES.

* WINDS…EAST 5 TO 10 MPH FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT…BECOMING NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH SATURDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…

THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE SIMILAR TO THE DECEMBER 19TH STORM. PLAN FOR SUBSTANTIAL DISRUPTIONS TO TRAVEL FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

Not that we much care in general about how wintry weather adversely impacts the travel arrangements of the Pittsburgh Penguins, but the Flightless Fowl are scheduled to play in Montreal at 2:00 Saturday afternoon. By about 6:00 Saturday evening, when the Pens probably expect to be boarding an airplane for D.C., we in Washington could already be buried under a foot or more of snow. It’d be easy to imagine all of our airports closed then — most particularly as blizzard conditions are forecast to set in on us Saturday.

Should this forecast come true, how do you imagine the Penguins arriving in D.C. for Super Sunday’s noon faceoff at Verizon Center? It seems unimaginable that the league would push the game to an evening start, smack during the middle of the Super Bowl, to try and accommodate the Pens’ travel. Then there’s the NBC national broadcast of the game to be considered. And how do you imagine Metro might run early on Sunday? (Don’t.) Unless all of these weathermen and women get this one seriously wrong — and that does happen on occasion — it’s difficult to imagine Sunday’s game facing off.

And with the snow forecast to begin falling early on Friday, is that night’s game here against Atlanta imperiled?

1. turquoise_donkey wrote:

During the last big snow they completely closed VC and a lot of Metro was shut down. What if they do that again? Does the NHL have any say if transportation and the arena make their own decisions?

3 February, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
  2. Jerry wrote:

I have tix for Friday and I’m curious how this plays out. I mean… Love the Caps, but I’m not too psyched to trust Metro and the red Line getting home.

3 February, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink
  3. Grooven wrote:

Yet another reason for the league to laugh at DC. It’s only snow.

3 February, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Permalink
  4. Ralph Hass wrote:

Tying in with the Pittsburgh game, pick your favorite hockey commercial:

3 February, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink
  5. if conditions are the way we might expect. It would be a garbage win. That would be a shame.

Believe me I’m not a Pens fan – but I don’t want to win that way. I get tired enough of the Pittsburgh homers as it is.

4 February, 2010 at 12:16 am | Permalink
  6. Gregg Wiggins wrote:

Maybe they can use VIA and AMTRAK. Overnight train from Montreal to New York, then Penn Station to Union Station Sunday morning.

4 February, 2010 at 8:45 am | Permalink
  7. Gregg Wiggins wrote:

P.S. to Grooven: When it gets above a foot, it’s no longer “only snow”. I’ve seen Victoria, B.C. paralyzed by less.

4 February, 2010 at 8:47 am | Permalink
  8. TheMermaid wrote:

What about that episode years ago when the Caps effectively lost playoff home-rink advantage to accommodate a tractor-pull or the like in Pittsburgh? If the Penguins can get here at or near game-time, and if the fans can make it via metro and the roads, let them play! (We have tix for Friday night and hoping Orange Line can get us downtown).

4 February, 2010 at 9:29 am | Permalink
  9. chris wrote:

I have tiks to the Bears game Saturday night in Hershey. The reps there told me if the Refs can make it to Giant Center the game goes on. Not sure what they do when Refs are standing at center ice with only one team. I imagine a bus ride from Wilkes-Barre would be a little hairy on Saturday.

4 February, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink
  10. Angie wrote:

You can read about Metro’s snow policy here
    I’d be more worried about taking it into DC and not being able to get out!

4 February, 2010 at 10:09 am | Permalink
  11. HoyaCap wrote:

How bout an outdoor game at Dulles? The pens can use their plane as a locker room and DC gets a winter classic!

4 February, 2010 at 10:30 am | Permalink
  12. tim wrote:

I have tix to Sundays game and am going regardless. It would be lame if they canceled for any reasons, unless the Pens/Refs cant get into town.

Then again, I also lived in upstate NY for many years and 1-2ft over 2 days doesn’t faze me too much, though I know it scares the hell out of the average Washingtonian

4 February, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink
  13. turquoise_donkey wrote:

I like Hoya’s idea. I am so happy I decided to go to the Flyers game a few weeks ago instead of the Pens one this weekend. I would be beyond upset if the game were cancelled on me.

4 February, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink
  14. DCPensFan wrote:

Ugh — I’ve been looking forward to this game for months. My wife (Caps fan) and I were going to have a real date. Drop the 7 month old (Pens fan) at the grandparents (Pens fans) and make a day of it. Maybe go to a real restaurant. If they reschedule I hope its for a weekend. Those days of causally walking over after work from my office near metro center to VC are gone.

Instead, looks like i’ll be snowed in with a teething baby and dog that has some sort of gas problem. I swear that dog can smell like a Flyers fan at times.

4 February, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink
  15. DCPensfan,

Look at the bright side — your family can stay inside warm and safe together and give each other haircuts!

4 February, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Permalink
  16. DCPensFan wrote:

HA! — I just used my mullet to mop up the pop I just spewed all over my keyboard.

4 February, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
  17. Grooven wrote:

@ Gregg: Sure, cities have shut down for less. The fact that it happens isn’t a justification for it happening. It’s still just snow. Many places continue to exist and go on with daily activities with far more than the amounts being forecast.

4 February, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink