20 April, 2014

A Waiting List for Hockey Tickets in Washington? You Betcha!

I had a terrific chat with Capitals’ Senior VP and Chief Marketing Officer Tim McDermott out at Kettler on my lunch hour today, and in the midst of discussing in detail the first-ever Capitals’ Convention on September 26 (more on that later), McDermott informed me that presently there are upwards of 2,000 people on a waiting list to buy Caps’ tickets. To repeat: that’s a four-figure waiting list . . . for hockey tickets . . . in Washington, D.C.

You thought the Redskins had a monopoly on waiting lists for tix? Think again.

If you build it they will come. And more will wait outside to get in the gate.

1. Murshawursha wrote:

Good for the team, I guess, but this is not happy news for those of us who liked to occasionally go out an catch a game on weekends….

13 July, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink
  2. tm wrote:

Are they going to bother selling smaller ticket packages? 6 game, 10 game, etc?
    I was really hoping for that this season – it would be perfect for me, and I hate buying overpriced tickets from 3rd parties.

13 July, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Permalink
  3. Sarah wrote:

2,000 for season tickets? If so, than my family would be part of that 2,000.

13 July, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Permalink
  4. Paint Drinking Pete wrote:

@TM
    If I remember correctly, the “sold out” refers to those seats designated as “season tickets” and that some would still be available for single games and packages–although I’m sure there will be a lot less available this year than have in the past.

13 July, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Permalink
  5. MaryRWise wrote:

Boy oh boy! I’m so glad I renewed!

13 July, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Permalink
  6. pucksandbooks wrote:

Just to clarify, the Caps are effectively sold out for the entirety of next season, hence the “waiting list.” There are no “pairs” of tickets together remaining for full season plans, although there remain blocks of seats available for group purchases. There are a select few single tickets available for purchase as seasons, and the views aren’t real close.

13 July, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink
  7. Murshawursha wrote:

@TM:
    My dad and I have had a 6-game plan for the past couple of years. As of now, they haven’t asked us to renew it for next year. One of the ticket reps told us it was full season or nothing, but I suppose it’s possible they just wanted us to upgrade.

14 July, 2009 at 7:42 am | Permalink