23 April, 2014

The Hype Machine is Rolling

NBC rolled out two promos for Sunday’s Caps/Pens game.

Tap of the stick to Puck the Media for the assist.

1. vt caps fan wrote:

Even funnier PTI had a segment on how many goals Ovi would score this year (I think the over/under was 60). And all of the sudden Mike Wilbon was giving Ovi all the props in the world. And wondering why nobody was talking about him.
    typical.

20 February, 2009 at 9:02 am | Permalink
  2. Lee (PTO) wrote:

Don’t anyone let Wilbon off the hook for his continuous slights against hockey. He’s not invited to the ‘Cup celebration parade!
    I had an idea for Bettman to steal last night regarding next the ’10-’11 season’s opening “European Vacation”. What if we could see…
    CAPITALS v. PENGUINS from MOSCOW?!?!?! Holy cow! Even the Pens have some world-reknowned Russian talent on their roster! True, other teams have had their season’s start wrecked by such insane travel but just once, I’d love to see Ovi’s and Sasha’s own countrymen get to cheer on their surrogate NHL squad. A little “thank you” back to the country that gave us (and the NHL?) our savior.
    Discuss!

20 February, 2009 at 9:32 am | Permalink
  3. this space fro rent wrote:

I’ll buy Caps vs. Penguins in Moscow.

20 February, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Permalink
  4. MulletMan wrote:

I thought they were throwing that idea around but I thought there was a problem with Malkin. Didn’t he skip town while under contract with a russian team (or something like that)?

20 February, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Permalink
  5. Lee (PTO) wrote:

Ovi would just have to punch Malkin’s agent in the face (“allegedly”)
    The time zone difference might be a ratings killer, though, unless they did it late Saturday over there. I would wake up for an 8 AM Caps/Pens season opening game – OR – have an all-night party to get ready for it? I think this idea might have some legs! LOL A Winter Classic in Moscow would also be cool, but Russian winters aren’t as tolerable as Chicago’s, eh?

20 February, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Permalink
  6. Grooven wrote:

Not sure how I feel about the 30-sec spot.
    Crosby’s Penguins.
    Ovechkin’s hard-hitting, high-scoring Capitals.
    Seems like NBC is hyping and overlooking at the same time.

20 February, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Permalink
  7. pepper wrote:

That first promo was weak – virtually played like a Pens highlight reel.
    Can’t wait for the beat down on Sunday, but I fear *Bylsma’s* Pens are gonna come out flying.

20 February, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink
  8. pepper wrote:

That first promo was weak – virtually played like a Pens highlight reel.

20 February, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Permalink