25 April, 2014

"A pretty exciting building to play in"

The Washington Examiner had a short post in their “Cheers and Jeers” section focused on the Washington Capitals with a telling quote from New York Ranger defenseman Paul Mara.

“I was talking to [goalie] Henrik [Lundqvist] on the bench and four or five years ago this place was pretty quiet,” said Rangers defenseman Paul Mara. “But now it’s one of the best places to play. The crowd was really into it. They have intensity with all their fans and it’s actually a pretty exciting building to play in now.”

1. Victor wrote:

Speaking of the Verizon Center–it’s actually been cold at my seats, and I don’t think they’re collecting as much snow as before. Have they fixed the ice somewhat, or am I imagining things?

5 January, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink
  2. vt caps fan wrote:

Wow, would you believe this statement 4/5 years ago?

5 January, 2009 at 9:17 am | Permalink
  3. Paint Drinking Pete wrote:

As a season ticket holder, I’ve noticed the same thing (temps inside seem cooler), although I’d have to hear it from the players mouths as to whether or not the ice is any better.
    Of course, I also noticed that during Saturday’s game against the Rangers that it was a bit warmer than it has been the last few home games, which I would probably attribute to the fact that Georgetown played a basketball game against Pitt earlier in the day. It would be nice if they wouldn’t double schedule the arena on hockey days, but I guess that would be close to impossible.

5 January, 2009 at 10:20 am | Permalink
  4. Sombrero Guy wrote:

Could be wishful thinking, but it has seemed colder in the building lately, and I agree the ice has seemed better for it.

5 January, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Permalink
  5. zelda wrote:

It was nice and chilly for the Tampa Bay game on 1/1/09 – it was the first time this season that I actually thought about putting on my gloves. But, for the Rangers game – following the Georgetown/Pitt game – the ice was just awful, and the arena warm. There were a lot of ruts in the ice on Saturday night – ref even came to ask the rink guys for some snow to fill in some ruts near the goal. I guess it’s going to be tough to maintain any good ice consistency in a multiple- use arena.

5 January, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Permalink
  6. wittcap79 wrote:

It has been colder in the VC this year. And you REALLY aren’t going to get good consistency when you (Ted Leonsis) don’t actually OWN the arena and therefore have no say in scheduling. I just hope that when he does get control of VC he’ll keep things like this in mind.

5 January, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Permalink
  7. nafyekcoh wrote:

And Feldman of Fox 5 said this isn’t a Hockey Town. When visiting players are commenting on the intensity of the Caps fans I’d say they’ve arrived a “Hockey Town”

6 January, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Permalink