21 April, 2014

Much Adieu About Nothing?

Washington Capitals Red Rockers
Without a formal announcement, the Washington Capitals officially debuted their inaugural “Spirit Squad” to the masses at Saturday’s Home Opener. It also seems the ever-changing “Spirit Squad” has a new name, the “Red Rockers.”¬† (I wonder what the original Red Rocker thinks?)¬† Did you notice them?¬† Chances are the answer is “not really.”
Though a few fans first met the Red Rockers at Friday’s viewing party at Hard Times, my first encounter was entering the Phone Booth from F Street where they were handing out the replica banners and foam pucks and tattoos to the kids.
The first thing I took notice of was the uniforms.¬† What started as half tops, skirts, shorts and pants eventually became professionally designed long-sleeve shirts and pants.¬† They are long-sleeve shirts and pants, but don’t resemble a Hillary Clinton pantsuit.¬† They are form-fitting, good-looking, and tasteful — just like Ted Leonsis said.
Perhaps their role will change as the season progresses, but as Ted described their duties, they did not take the Ice Kids jobs nor perform on the ice.¬† I did not see them perform anywhere.¬† I did see them hand out burritos during the burrito dash and hold a prize bag during the trivia contest during the stop in play.¬† I’m sure there is more to the Red Rockers than meets the game one eye, but the Ice Kids probably don’t have to worry about pink slips.
One thing is for certain, the Caps have joined a growing list of teams with similar Spirit Squads and/or Ice Girls.¬† With the addition of the Caps group and the LA Kings Ice Girls, the Ice Girl / Spirit Squad tally includes at least 21 of the league’s 30 clubs.
Washington Capitals Red Rockers
Links to the teams with Ice Girls / Spirit Squads / Cheerleaders after the jump. (corrections/additions are welcome)

Anaheim Ducks Power Players
Atlanta Thrashers Blue Crew
Boston Bruins Ice Girls
Buffalo Sabres – none?
Calgary Flames Big Country Ice Crew
Carolina Hurricanes Storm Squad
Chicago Blackhawks Ice Crew
Colorado Avalanche – none?
Columbus Blue Jackets Power Patrol
Dallas Stars Ice Girls
Detroit Red Wings – none?
Edmonton Oilers – none?
Florida Panthers Ice Dancers
LA Kings Ice Girls
Minnesota Wild – none?
Montreal Canadiens – none?
Nashville Predators Goal Girls
Nashville Predators Dancers
New Jersey Devils Power Players
NY Islanders Ice Girls
NY Rangers – none?
Ottawa Senators Direct Energy Power Patrol
Philadelphia Flyers Delta Dental Ice Team
Phoenix Coyotes Entertainment Team
Pittsburgh Penguins Pens Patrol
San Jose Sharks – none?
St. Louis Blues – none?
Tampa Bay Lightning Girls
Toronto Maple Leafs – none?
Vancouver Canucks Smirnoff Ice Team
Washington Capitals Red Rockers

1. chanuck wrote:

That said I still would like to be in the “none” crowd. The main reason being is, I have to hear about it when my buddy comes down from NYC and points out the Rags don’t have them.

13 October, 2008 at 7:40 am | Permalink
  2. Gustafsson wrote:

Ha! Nice timing on my part. It’s the Red Rocker’s birthday today. Sammy Hagar is now 61.

13 October, 2008 at 9:09 am | Permalink
  3. NuftGoddess wrote:

Why aren’t the ‘Red Rockers’ co-ed?? Why can’t they wear jerseys instead of tight chest heaving shirts and jeans instead of underwear (or lack of) viewing, butt hugging pants?? Finally, did any of these grls need to know anything about hockey!? To me, the ‘Red Rockers’ are totally unnecessary.

13 October, 2008 at 11:11 am | Permalink
  4. pepper wrote:

The Vancouver squad, sponsored by that modern incarnation of Zima? Now THAT’s classy.

13 October, 2008 at 11:14 am | Permalink
  5. Sombrero Guy wrote:

Photos of the Penguins Pens Patrol girls can be seen
    HERE

13 October, 2008 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
  6. Gustafsson wrote:

@Sombrero,
    At least they shaved for the picture.
    Strong work, BTW.

13 October, 2008 at 12:14 pm | Permalink
  7. Sec. 119 wrote:

I still think they’re not needed and don’t think they add much to the experience – and incredibly, my husband agrees. I also hope they (and Slap Shot) lose the drum – very annoying. All we need is horn guy and the organ once in awhile.

13 October, 2008 at 1:12 pm | Permalink
  8. Boo! wrote:

They just don’t go with hockey. While they looked fine (and stayed out of the way), their transformation has begun to what was originally advertised (i.e. 1/2 shirts and short shorts) – they will be scantily clad in no time. What does that have to do with hockey? It’s a cheesy “new” hockey move – the Caps are better than that. I prefer good old fashioned ol’ time hockey, thank you very much! :-) Call me a traditionalist …

13 October, 2008 at 3:03 pm | Permalink
  9. whatever wrote:

I’m with Boo!…they aren’t needed and to add insult onto injury they just did not look to be all that into their job…nor did they seem to follow what was going on (I saw a few while the banner raising was going on and they just looked plain bored).

13 October, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
  10. LaingFan1 wrote:

I must say I’d much prefer the Black Hawks spirit squad….

13 October, 2008 at 3:32 pm | Permalink
  11. turquoise_donkey wrote:

While I agree that Horn Guy (and even Goat) is all we really need, I hardley noticed the cheerleaders. I have experienced worse (being right behind the Storm Squad at RBC, a group frequently seen shimying on the jumbotron) and I am sure some other teams have more ostantacious examples. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be happiest if this endevour on our PR’s part ceased to be, but since I expected so much worse I was (dare I say it) pleasantly surprised.

13 October, 2008 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
  12. Caps girl wrote:

What was wrong with the “Spirit Squad” like last year? Co-ed’s in sweatsuits throwing the burritos and T-shirts? The girls did stay out of the way, but still – I loved that hockey didn’t have “cheerleaders”. I love the Caps and hope this doesn’t get out of hand.

13 October, 2008 at 7:44 pm | Permalink
  13. Arlington Caps Fan wrote:

There is actually one guy on the “Red Rockers.” He does not wear the spandex pants, but does wear the same tight top. I will try and get pictures next game.

14 October, 2008 at 9:08 am | Permalink
  14. Pens Fan wrote:

Hey Sombrero Guy
    Even as a Penguins nut, that was funny as hell.

14 October, 2008 at 4:40 pm | Permalink
  15. doughless wrote:

HATE the spirit squad!!! NOT NEEDED IN A HOCKEYTOWN!!! Waste of money, Ted! get rid of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 October, 2008 at 8:45 pm | Permalink
  16. @ LaingFan: Agreed! Though the Eagles’ cheerleaders, well, they’re a whole other level:

14 October, 2008 at 10:52 pm | Permalink