17 April, 2014

Here Come the Ice Girls

Or “Spirit Squad” as it looks like they will be officially called when they join the other squads of the NHL. Among the requirements are the following:
- 18 years of age or older
- In great physical shape
- High School Graduate or a G.E.D. — because you have to know how to spell C-A-P-S
Here’s the sticky one:
- There are no specific height or weight requirements; however uniforms demand a lean athletic figure. Uniforms consist of half tops, skirts, shorts and pants, so being physically fit and toned is necessary.

Mark your calendars for September 3-5th where three members of OFB may live blog the auditions.
We’re kidding … maybe.

1. pepper wrote:

“Performing routines during the game?” This is most unwelcome news.
    The live blogging idea is the only good thing that can come out of this fiasco. Better yet, some video if you can swing it.

12 July, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Permalink
  2. ranndino wrote:

Pepper,
    In one sentence you call this idea a fiasco and in the next one you are talking about how you’d love to see the video of these girls.
    You may wanna look up the word “hypocrisy” on some online dictionary.

12 July, 2008 at 3:21 pm | Permalink
  3. vt caps fan wrote:

Awesome stuff Uncle Ted. GREAT WORK!
    3rd best signing of the offseason (Green and Feds as 1 and 2).

12 July, 2008 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
  4. Matt C wrote:

I think this will be a vast improvement over the “Caps Pack” or whatever we called the unenthusiastic people who followed Slapshot around and occasionally threw out t-shirts. They usually looked like they wanted to be anywhere other than the Verizon Center most of the time.

12 July, 2008 at 3:38 pm | Permalink
  5. NOOOOOO!

12 July, 2008 at 4:04 pm | Permalink
  6. PRC wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    DO NOT WANT

12 July, 2008 at 4:20 pm | Permalink
  7. Cathy W wrote:

NO!!! I am really disappointed. I was so proud of Caps fans at the end of the season and the playoffs because we were so loud WITHOUT any cheerleaders.

12 July, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Permalink
  8. chanuck wrote:

Not that I am happy about the idea of a “Spirit Squad”, but I think the a certain OFB Spouse will be there to take pictures and video. You know, just to help out the blog. ;-)

12 July, 2008 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
  9. odessa steps magazin wrote:

it’s bad when the Caps steals a name from a failed WWF gimmick.

12 July, 2008 at 4:46 pm | Permalink
  10. frank wrote:

such is a sad day when our team has to join the ranks of the teams that do this…. way to not be unique anymore guys.

12 July, 2008 at 5:17 pm | Permalink
  11. keef wrote:

But Cathy, think about how much louder we will be WITH cheerleaders!
    Now to find the “sarcasm off” button….

12 July, 2008 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
  12. Ryan wrote:

I HATE this idea because its so bush league. I want to see Alex Ovechkin and Nicholas Backstrom…I don’t want or need to see dumb cheerleaders get in my way when i’m trying to concentrate while i’m trying to study a power play.
    Its just retarded, and “ice girls” do not belong in hockey.

12 July, 2008 at 6:03 pm | Permalink
  13. Stella wrote:

BLEH!!! This is going to get ugly FAST if they get annoying. But Jez, how could they help but be annoying? Bad idea. Very bad.

12 July, 2008 at 6:30 pm | Permalink
  14. Kim wrote:

It should not be warm enough in the arena for the Spirit Squad to be scantily clad. Figure and dance ability should be moot points, as it should be cool enough to support only parkas and multiple layers of flannel and wool.

12 July, 2008 at 6:30 pm | Permalink
  15. zelda wrote:

UGH! Are they serious? Uncle Ted’s gonna get a lot of mail on this one. What a tacky idea.

12 July, 2008 at 6:31 pm | Permalink
  16. I like Kim’s comment the best.

12 July, 2008 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
  17. Doug wrote:

I’m not big on the idea. It’s probably a by-product of working for the government for 32 years and listening to boundless sexual harassment and hostile work environment diatribes.
    Honestly, I pay my money to watch NHL ice hockey and root for the Caps.
    I don’t really want to watch the “Hooter girls” at the hockey games.

12 July, 2008 at 7:10 pm | Permalink
  18. TJ wrote:

Bah…whatever happened to organ music and pucks flying into the stands. I want the patrick division back :)

12 July, 2008 at 7:22 pm | Permalink
  19. Let’s hope they’re more entertaining that this spirit squad:

12 July, 2008 at 7:45 pm | Permalink
  20. Lorne wrote:

Don’t like it. First time one of them blocks my view during a live play I may have to go Henrik Lundqvist on one of them.

12 July, 2008 at 8:03 pm | Permalink
  21. turquoise_donkey wrote:

i am as disapointed as the next fan, but i’m willing to keep a somewhat open mind to see what their duties are exactly. i’ve heard about the ice girls up in new york that basicly clean up the ice (which could be a perk, since the little kids who do it during breaks are always a little slow with the shovel). also, i have seen the cane squad (or whatever they are called) in action on a number of occations at rbc center. it can get pretty loud in there, and they are quickly forgoten in the action. they mostly just serve the purpose of something “pretty” to look at during breaks in the game. in the end i trust any “cheerleading” will be drowned up by the horn guy and goat. i hope they turn into nothing more than scantily clad shirt throwers and pizza delivery girls.

12 July, 2008 at 8:38 pm | Permalink
  22. thag wrote:

As a straight, red-blooded male, I have one thing to say about this:
    THIS SUCKS

12 July, 2008 at 8:54 pm | Permalink
  23. Megan wrote:

OMFG. Make it stop.

12 July, 2008 at 10:04 pm | Permalink
  24. spacemom wrote:

I hate seeing the NHL going to the pole, the stripper pole. Why do we need women with half tops? Hello? I think a group of people with thick black glasses, long hair and “Chiefs” jerseys would do a much better job of getting the crowd going.

12 July, 2008 at 10:13 pm | Permalink
  25. new fan of 64 wrote:

I can’t believe Uncle Ted caved like this. And to think I thought he was above all of this Hooter-eque nonsene. We come to watch hockey. UH DUH. How many fans do you think are out there saying “I’m not really a hockey fan but gosh I really really wanna see those cheesy ice girls so yeah I’m gonna get myself a ticket for the game tonight”

12 July, 2008 at 11:25 pm | Permalink
  26. new fan of 64 wrote:

Oh, and plus it’s just way too distracting for Brooksie. Did you see how much he watched himself on the big screen during the Season Ticket Holder Party???

12 July, 2008 at 11:26 pm | Permalink
  27. Steve R wrote:

Are they going to be lobbing burritos into the stands via spandex sling shots..?

12 July, 2008 at 11:59 pm | Permalink
  28. Mike wrote:

So, i grew up and spend 22 years in the DC area, but now live in Raleigh, so I see more caps games down here in Raleigh then up in DC. Having the Storm Squad down here isn’t all that bad. they stay out of the way during game play and being a 25 year old I can’t say I am dissapointed when they pop up. Where the Cane’s use them to their advantage for marketing is when they do any promotions around town or bar nights for away games. I would much rather have something like this helping with capitals promotions then a bunch of 20 year old interns who really seem like they don’t want to be there

13 July, 2008 at 12:54 am | Permalink
  29. michele wrote:

I’m interested to see how this unfolds in DC. We have “ice girls” here on Long Island. They started out as cheerleaders, but now all they do is shoot t-shirts into the crowd, clean up ice around the net and walk around the stands wearing as little as possible. They are almost unanimously hated around here – even the guys who drooled over them at first don’t want them around anymore.
    Of all the gimmicks hockey could come up with to draw people into the games, scantily clad chicks bending over to pick up ice shavings is the least thought out marketing ploy ever.

13 July, 2008 at 4:59 am | Permalink
  30. Lisa wrote:

I’m with Michele, I guess they think this will “inspire” more fans than it alienates. Talk about a marketing ploy with widespread appeal! Many women won’t like it, some parents will feel obligated to explain to their children, again, why women shouldn’t be judged based on how they look in spandex and a percentage of the men will be dismissive. The problem is STH are a captive audience so unlike a commercial, we’re stuck with it whether we like it or not. It’s tacky and Ted should hear about it.

13 July, 2008 at 8:32 am | Permalink
  31. Michael@thecaribbean wrote:

This is an awful idea. Awful and sexist and boneheaded. One of the great things about hockey is that we don’t have this garbage. Pleeeeez reconsider this, Ted. My wife has gotten so into hockey, especially the Caps, and this promises to alienate her even more than it does me.

13 July, 2008 at 8:35 am | Permalink
  32. b.orr4 wrote:

How many ways can I say no to this?

13 July, 2008 at 8:56 am | Permalink
  33. hockeygrl_76 wrote:

Tacky…I saw them in Carolina and in Chicago and they are worthless. They aren’t any faster then the kids b/c they are too busy giving eyes to all the hockey players and trying to play coy; most of them couldn’t skate anyway. What a disappointment…bad marketing idea.

13 July, 2008 at 9:46 am | Permalink
  34. HockeyFan wrote:

I think this is a great idea!!! I think we are the only team in the NHL without ice girls!

13 July, 2008 at 11:07 am | Permalink
  35. pgreene wrote:

as big a waste of time as this all is, i have to admire the euphemisms created by the marketing department. they could’ve done this ad with nothing more than “come cheer and be ogled at. wear minimal clothes. no fat chix.” and yet they made it somehow seem like much more than that.
    i think the whole idea is pretty stupid and pointless. that being said, as long as they don’t get in the way, don’t do anything while the puck is in play and seem to know their hockey, i’m ok with it. considering the asininity (yes, it’s a word, or it is now) that usually takes place in breaks in the action, could hot chicks in tight outfits be worse? i mean, honestly, kiss cam or this? i’ll take this, please.

13 July, 2008 at 11:42 am | Permalink
  36. hotdog88gt wrote:

“Tacky” just about covers it.

13 July, 2008 at 12:50 pm | Permalink
  37. 13 July, 2008 at 2:08 pm | Permalink
  38. migz wrote:

Uhm yeah – what everyone else said. This is terrible. This is a lame idea and poor excuse to cover “…the huge increase in player payroll.” What a load of crap. I hate how everything comes down to Sex – Why are the Caps trying to sell this…

13 July, 2008 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
  39. Dezlboy wrote:

Yuck!

13 July, 2008 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
  40. deuce wrote:

Re: Kim’s quote:
    You have to remember, that this is the Verizon Center and it probably is warm enough to have scantily clad girls.
    Personally I’m pretty neutral on this. I don’t think that people that are there to watch hockey are going to be distracted, and if it brings more money to the caps then let it go.
    (PS: I reserve the right to retract my statement after seeing this in real life)

13 July, 2008 at 8:16 pm | Permalink
  41. Miss Universe Watcher wrote:

Am I even allowed to comment on this while watching the Miss Universe Pageant?
    Miss Canada did not wear a hockey sweater as her native country costume. Disappointing.
    (Dominican Republic wore a baseball uniform, though)

13 July, 2008 at 9:10 pm | Permalink