23 April, 2014

Capitals Sign A Free Agent Center

The Capitals have announced another free agent signing, but it’s not the center you might think.¬† Keith Aucoin was signed to a two-year contract.
From the press release:

Aucoin, 29, split last season between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League (AHL). He played 38 games for both teams and tallied 13 points (5g-8a) for Carolina and 45 points (8g-37a) for Albany. Aucoin was with Carolina for the final 27 games of last season. The 5’9″, 187-pound Aucoin has played in 53 career NHL games, all with the Hurricanes, and has scored five goals, handed out 10 assists and notched 14 career penalty minutes.

[Update] Per John Walton and the Hershey Bears:

Keith Aucoin is coming to town [Hershey] after signing an NHL two-way contract. The official team release is below. One thing we know right now about next season: This team is going to have some serious offensive weapons.

HERSHEY – The HERSHEY BEARS announced today in conjunction with the Washington Capitals that center Keith Aucoin has been signed to a contract for the 2008-09 season. The announcement was made today by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst and Washington Capitals VP/General Manager George McPhee.

1. Grooven wrote:

Any relation to Adrian?
    Are the Aucoins going to be competition for the Staals?

3 July, 2008 at 10:29 am | Permalink
  2. Motzko4Ever wrote:

This was the signing I was waiting for! I am calling it now, Aucoin with the game winner in Game 6 to get the Caps to the Finals. “Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”

3 July, 2008 at 11:59 am | Permalink
  3. Schultz for Norris wrote:

If he makes the team, it will be nice to see #37 still on the ice…

3 July, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Permalink
  4. VT Phil wrote:

Am I the only person wondering when we’ll see some defensive signings? By far our weakest point is our blue line and with the run and gun style that Bruce likes to play, we need solid guys back there who can handle the fast break and odd man rush. Not to mention guys who can actually advance a puck out of their own zone.

3 July, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Permalink
  5. Murshawursha wrote:

Wait, are we trying to win a Stanley Cup, or reload Hershey for another Calder?
    I know that’s probably not fair of me to say, but dangit, I wanna see some signing that directly impact the Caps.

3 July, 2008 at 2:38 pm | Permalink
  6. Chris wrote:

To Murshawursha: The signings of Mink,Sloan and Aucoin(all Caps contracts) do in a way directly impact the Caps. No it’s not the signing of Mats Sudin or Marian Hossa or a player of that ilk, but, remember the Caps are sticking to the “plan”. These veteran minor league singings will help the Andrew Gordon’s, Chris Bourque’s and other top prospects.

3 July, 2008 at 4:59 pm | Permalink
  7. Dan, Jr. wrote:

@ Schultz fo Norris:
    If he makes the team, it will be nice to see #37 in the rafters…

3 July, 2008 at 5:59 pm | Permalink
  8. Murshawursha wrote:

@Chris:
    I know, what I’m mostly getting at is I’d like to see something done with ShaMo, Laich, Gordon, Sergei, even Fehr. The waiting is simply frustrating. I keep telling myself we have all summer, but the suspense is killing me.

3 July, 2008 at 6:39 pm | Permalink