23 April, 2014

Pierre McGuire, the Color-Blind

Yea, a couple of us were watching yesterday’s broadcast at home and caught NBC analyst Pierre McGuire’s bizarre, I-had-an-indulgent-Sunday brunch-at-Clyde’s claim that “50 percent” of Verizon Center was comprised of Flyers’ fans. How ’bout a sobriety checkpoint between the players’ benches?
To their credit, McGuire’s on-air co-horts got in some good-natured jibes at their color-challenged colleague. Today, an OFB reader — “Sombrero Guy” — piled on, sharing with us his creative invention today to address hockey eyes gone very, very bad. He’s called it:
The NBC Hockey Vision/Math/Color Blindness Test
It’s really rather simple:
“To help prevent any such embarrassing moments from their broadcasting crew, NBC Sports should ask applicants to correctly identify the number and/or percentage of orange dots.”

NBC Sports Vision Test

1. Sombrero Guy wrote:

Usually I am up in the 400′s, but on Sunday my viewpoint was from a friend’s suite right next to Ted’s, and directly behind the team benches. If McGuire saw something the other 18,000 people didn’t, a drug test might be more appropriate than a sobriety test. Thanks for sharing this with my fellow caps fans. Keep up the good work guys.

14 April, 2008 at 1:09 pm | Permalink
  2. Bryanne wrote:

As much as I love the national coverage of Caps games, I sorely missed Joe B, Laughlin, & Koken. Missing them only added to the “not-quite-right” feeling I had watching that game on Sunday.

14 April, 2008 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
  3. SovSport wrote:

How many of the fans in attendance were wearing Crosby’s jerseys? Was that mentioned?

14 April, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Permalink
  4. Bucky Katt wrote:

“How many of the fans in attendance were wearing Crosby?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s jerseys? Was that mentioned?”
    Heh…I’m surprised that didn’t get brought up. But at least one Crosby/Pen jersey wearer was sighted on Sun.
    Two Islander-jersey wearing fans in Sec 109, earlier on Friday. Which makes one wonder what the heck goes through the minds of these people. I feel like asking them if they are lost.

14 April, 2008 at 3:11 pm | Permalink
  5. MulletMan wrote:

The islanders fans were hoping for a mistake in the event billing. They thought the isles made the playoffs.

14 April, 2008 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
  6. cupcrzy wrote:

Everything about that broadcast made me sick. From Pierre McGuire, Mike Milbury and the play of the Caps, I truly wanted to vomit.

14 April, 2008 at 4:44 pm | Permalink
  7. Gozling wrote:

I only got to watch part of it because I was on my way back from NYC but the part that I watched made it sound like the Caps had no business being in the playoffs. It was more than one sided commentary. It was sickening to think any national broadcast that is supposed to be promoting the game. I got so annoyed that I just watched the game with no sound at all.
    Ridiculous

14 April, 2008 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
  8. Grooven wrote:

I know of one Crosby jersey that was worn, but if you actually read the whole thing, it also has Crosby’s skills as a vaccuum as part of the name too.

14 April, 2008 at 5:20 pm | Permalink
  9. David wrote:

The one-sided nature of the broadcasting was perpetuated from the top, all the way down. To call that run at Huet “incidental contact” over and over again or even Milbury’s “Crapitals” comment….. Truly sad. I hope the game next week gets bumped back down to regional coverage. I’d rather the nation never see the Caps than to be subjected to that garbage. The only thing missing is Melrose saying that Ovechkin shouldn’t be the regular season MVP unless he takes his team past the first round….

14 April, 2008 at 5:39 pm | Permalink
  10. TJ2 wrote:

Amen, David.

14 April, 2008 at 7:23 pm | Permalink
  11. chanuck wrote:

Glad I missed the broadcast. The only opponents’ jersey I saw in my section was an idiot with a Pens jersey. Here is to a better game tomorrow.

14 April, 2008 at 10:27 pm | Permalink
  12. 20 September, 2008 at 9:13 pm | Permalink
  13. dev wrote:

i have color vision, but i will never accept loss.

24 June, 2010 at 5:36 am | Permalink