24 April, 2014

CapsMix 2008 – The Music of the Washington Capitals

I spent a recent Capitals game Behind the Screens with the team’s in-game production crew. One of the gems of the visit for me (a former DJ and continued music geek) was talking about the in-game music.
Click for printer-friendly version (by Mike Rucki/OFB)So here, Capitals fans, is a list of the songs the production team plays at Capitals games. They mix in other tunes now and then, but for the 2007-08 season these are the core songs you’ve been hearing in the Verizon Center each game.
I’ve dug up links to each song on iTunes (where available) if you’d like to make your own Capitals-themed CD or playlist–perhaps you can dub in your own Caps-themed music while watching the team’s road trip on television these next two weeks.
If you do decide to burn a CD, feel free to use the image at the right as your cover (click the image and select Save As for a 4.7″x4.7″ 300dpi version, 1410×1410 pixels).

Or if you’d prefer to buy them all, here’s an iMix of the entire song list (minus Thunderstruck, Minnie, and The Hockey Song).
If you have any hockey arena favorites not on the list (e.g., Rush’s Tom Sawyer), or ones you’re pretty sure you’ve heard at Capitals games this season, feel free to add ‘em as comments. Enjoy!

1. steph wrote:

every year I end up doing some sort of search to find these songs, sending emails to Caps reps etc. This list is very welcome to me! Your compliation is missing “No Way Back” by the Foo Fighters (second period opener, I think) and I have The Hockey Song, if anyone really wants to add it to their collection. :-)

20 March, 2008 at 7:28 am | Permalink
  2. vt caps fan wrote:

Awesome article, the mrs has been asking me to create her a playlist, so this helps. I did notice one song that was missing… Nothin’ But a Good time by Poison. We usually enjoy a good old skool head banging when we hear that. Plus it means we won. So you HAVE to love it.

20 March, 2008 at 7:43 am | Permalink
  3. Norm wrote:

Being largely a Classic Rock guy, I have no trouble with loud music, but am I the only one that thinks the sound can get a little too loud & distorted at the Phone Booth?

20 March, 2008 at 7:59 am | Permalink
  4. Thanks folks, keep the additional songs coming in! Melzme at the Caps’ boards makes a fantastic addition that’s such a given I’m a little embarrassed it was left off the initial list . . . Europe’s “The Final Countdown”.

20 March, 2008 at 8:25 am | Permalink
  5. matthew langley wrote:

I’m still sore they never play “Lady of Spain” to me, that is a classic!

20 March, 2008 at 9:04 am | Permalink
  6. MulletMan wrote:

during TV timeouts they often play “Stand Up – by Steel Dragon”. It is off the Rock Star soundtrack and can be found on Amazon (not sure about iTunes, but it is on my iPhone). :)

20 March, 2008 at 9:11 am | Permalink
  7. dave wrote:

Thanks OFB! These could make a good running playlist for me!

20 March, 2008 at 9:47 am | Permalink
  8. rich wrote:

Brilliant, thanks! Here’s one: Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue (the ‘Whoa Yeah!’ song played with the video).

20 March, 2008 at 10:02 am | Permalink
  9. Great additions all!
    @Norm, my season tickets are in the front row of the upper deck, so generally don’t experience too-loud music at the Phone Booth. Can’t speak for those down low though.

20 March, 2008 at 10:05 am | Permalink
  10. Chris wrote:

One missing song is “The Game” by Motorhead. They usually play it right before the opening faceoff.
    Earlier this year, they were playing a version of the “Ole” soccer song by the Bouncing Souls after goals, but that seems to have been replaced by “Song 2″ by Blur.
    Once during an early season fight they played some Mastodon (The Wolf Is Loose IIRC). I almost fell out of my seat I was so stoked. I wish they would play that again. Maybe they could play “Hand of Stone” when Brash scores. :)
    They also once played Helmet’s “Unsung,” (actually, in the same game IIRC) which I thought was an excellent hockey song.
    Personally, I’ve always thought that “Winter’s Wolves,” by The Sword is a perfect hockey song, both musically and thematically. Hearing that before games would be better than the Foo Fighters.

20 March, 2008 at 10:35 am | Permalink
  11. Hollowboy wrote:

A snippet of Metallica’s “One” is played right after the “Inches” video, correct?

20 March, 2008 at 11:13 am | Permalink
  12. Victor wrote:

Minnie the Moocher is available on iTunes…kinda, and it’s only for video iPods (or your computer). Go to podcasts >vintage tooncast >Betty Boop >Minnie the Moocher. It’s the soundtrack to a fantastic Betty Boop cartoon, and the first 40 seconds is live-action of Cab Calloway–the earliest known footage of Cab Calloway, in fact. Since it’s a podcast of a public domain cartoon, it’s free!
    As for The Hockey Song, I prefer this version in tribute to Bryan McCabe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gwJDeKBZuVk

20 March, 2008 at 11:29 am | Permalink
  13. Marleen wrote:

You forgot “Twilight Zone” by 2 Unlimited – our power play song.

20 March, 2008 at 11:38 am | Permalink
  14. @Marleen: Very true! Sadly that’s another one I can’t find on iTunes. They have a couple 2 Unlimited remix CDs on Amazon, but unfortunately the individual song is not available for download.

20 March, 2008 at 11:45 am | Permalink
  15. Gustafsson wrote:

There are actually 30 separate instances of Minnie the Moocher on iTunes. The problem is, it’s from an earlier recording at a much slower tempo and, therefore, not the same song.
    Looks like there is going to have to be a “Caps Mix Vol. II” for all of the additions.

20 March, 2008 at 11:45 am | Permalink
  16. turquoise_donkey wrote:

I have been looking for the power play song for a while. Does anyone know it (or can point it out on this list if I missed it?)

20 March, 2008 at 11:47 am | Permalink
  17. @Hollowboy
    Nice catch!

20 March, 2008 at 11:56 am | Permalink
  18. steph wrote:

@turquoise donkey – the power play song is Twilight Zone by 2 Unlimited. I have been searching for an MP3 of it but haven’t found it yet.

20 March, 2008 at 12:25 pm | Permalink
  19. EssP wrote:

Dropkick Murphys – Warrior Code is missing from the list. I believe they’ve been playing it sometime in the 3rd.

20 March, 2008 at 12:45 pm | Permalink
  20. MulletMan wrote:

Believe the version of “Minnie The Moocher – Cab Calloway” is off the Blues Brothers Soundtrack with can be found on Amazon, not sure about iTunes.

20 March, 2008 at 12:58 pm | Permalink
  21. Gustafsson wrote:

MulletMan,
    You are absolutely correct, and no, it is not available on iTunes. Glad I have the CD.

20 March, 2008 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
  22. Zman wrote:

Personally, I hate the “Hockey Song” I think it’s way too hillbilly sounding. Sounds like something you’d hear at a rodeo, not at an NHL game. Anybody with me?

20 March, 2008 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
  23. Kim wrote:

Also am not a big fan of the hockey song, but understand why it is played. I could do without the chicken dance song as well.
    While I do not know if the Caps folks would play it, during what I think was either a Dallas Stars or Flyers game they played Open Up Your Eyes by Tonic when the refs called a penalty. Was actually pretty funny.
    I have heard Linkin Park’s Bleed it Out during the pregame skates before also.

20 March, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Permalink
  24. yngwie wrote:

I thought that “Final Countdown” was intentionally left off of the list for the benefit of anyone who was reading this over breakfast…

20 March, 2008 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  25. steph wrote:

of course, my favorite hockey song is one I have never heard at a game – Captain Tractors Frozen Puck to the Head: (hope this works)

20 March, 2008 at 2:07 pm | Permalink
  26. CapsChick wrote:

I like the Chicken Dance but only because some of us have taken to inserting the ever-classy refrain of “the [insert opposition team here] suck!” at the end of each line.
    It’s blatantly stolen from Devils fans, but at least we don’t just stick with “the Rangers suck!” like they do regardless of their opponent…I think they have a bit of a complex.

20 March, 2008 at 3:11 pm | Permalink
  27. migz wrote:

Ok, so who is going to post the first torrent for this :P But seriously, I think the Caps Promotions/Merchandising department should consider this as a new product for purchase. Could they partner with itunes and do a special digital download on the itunes store? They wouldn’t actually have to produce a physical media this way, so it would be cheap in terms of manufacturing costs. Maybe do it as a fund raiser for some of the groups/charities that the Caps support in the area?

20 March, 2008 at 3:58 pm | Permalink
  28. Zman, I am with you on The Hockey Song. It makes my ears bleed (just like Rush).
    CapsChick, that’s the only way I can like the Chicken Dance ;-)

20 March, 2008 at 4:12 pm | Permalink
  29. Gustafsson wrote:

DCSC just admitted that she has no musical taste. ;-)

20 March, 2008 at 4:52 pm | Permalink
  30. caps81737 wrote:

Quiet Riot “Cum on Feel the Noise”
    Stevie Ray Vaughn “The House is Rockin”
    “Sugar We’re Goin Down” by Fall Out Boy
    Dave Matthews (I think) acoustic guitar live jam thingy
    Unknown “Tick Tick Tick Boom” (opens 2nd period)

20 March, 2008 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
  31. Gustafsson wrote:

Thanks Caps81737,
    The last song you mentioned is by Saliva and is titled “Click, Click, Boom”

20 March, 2008 at 7:46 pm | Permalink
  32. Neil wrote:

I’ve heard Modest Mouse – Dashboard at 2 games for sure.

20 March, 2008 at 9:55 pm | Permalink
  33. Wittcap wrote:

You forgot “Our Time Now” by Plain White T’s

20 March, 2008 at 10:18 pm | Permalink
  34. Jeff wrote:

Awesome list man, crazy thing is I like a ton of this music!

20 March, 2008 at 11:58 pm | Permalink
  35. Biff wrote:

I am absolutely certain that, on at least one occasion, I heard “Hockey Monkey” by the Zambonis over the VC’s loudspeakers. It was a moment that would change my life forever.

21 March, 2008 at 10:01 am | Permalink
  36. @ caps81737, the DMB acoustic jam is on the original list (“Warehouse”). Thanks for the other additions!

21 March, 2008 at 1:07 pm | Permalink
  37. Todd wrote:

WOOHOO!!!
    I’ve been trying to figure out the name of “Hockey Monkey” for a while now.
    That one just got downloaded!

21 March, 2008 at 1:32 pm | Permalink
  38. Chris wrote:

If you like the Hockey Monkey, you should check out the rest of The Zambonis’ catalog. Good stuff for the hockey lover. “Bob Marley and the Hartford Whalers” is a classic. Incidentally, they do a version of the hockey song that progresses from traditional (1st verse) to new wave (2nd verse) to full-blown punk rock (3rd verse). It would be large improvement over the current hockey song.
    Another song I’ve heard several times is “The Gauntlet” by the Dropkick Murphys. I’ve also heard “Bro Hymn Tribute” by Pennywise during pre-game warmups.
    The All-Time Greatest opening song has to be “Seek and Destroy” by Metallica. The Stars used to play this before player introductions (does anybody know if they still do?). The song is awesome on two levels. First, it whips the crowd into a frenzy and second it reminds us that Metallica didn’t always suck.

21 March, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Permalink
  39. Actually, Gustafsson, the “Tick Tick Boom” song is by The Hives.
    Last year (and possibly a few times this year), they would show video highlights of big hits, and the song used was “Don’t Speak (I Came to Make a Bang!” by Eagles of Death Metal (who are awesome, btw).

21 March, 2008 at 5:12 pm | Permalink
  40. Interestingly, both “Tick Tick Boom” by The Hives and “Click Click Boom” by Saliva have been played at the arena.
    I would have wagered against two such oddly-titled songs coexisting . . . and I’d have been wrong.

21 March, 2008 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
  41. Gustafsson wrote:

That’s just weird. I assumed he meant “Click Click Boom”, but now hearing “Tick Tick Boom”… I have heard that as well.
    Here’s Saliva – Click Click Boom
    and The Hives – Tick Tick Boom
    Was also going to make some lame joke substituting “D” or “Pr” for the “T” and/or “Cl” but have decided against it.

21 March, 2008 at 6:39 pm | Permalink
  42. That is pretty weird.
    On further review, I got the EODM song wrong — it’s “I Want You So Hard (Boy’s Bad News)”:

24 March, 2008 at 12:16 pm | Permalink
  43. For a full playlist of in-game music from a recent Caps game, check out:

24 March, 2008 at 12:20 pm | Permalink
  44. power play girl! wrote:

Ok i have not missed 1 caps game this year and u forgot “twilight zone” by the beats blish (meaning the power play song)

27 March, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Permalink
  45. @ power play girl:
    Correct, but see comment numbers 13 & 14 — the song is actually by 2 Unlimited.

27 March, 2008 at 1:12 pm | Permalink
  46. MH 29 wrote:

I’m totally sure I heard Mortal Kombat one game earlier this year, not sure which version though.

5 April, 2008 at 9:59 pm | Permalink
  47. MH 29 wrote:

Also (almost forgot) U2′s vertigo was an intermission song in early Feb.

5 April, 2008 at 10:12 pm | Permalink
  48. Bill wrote:

I heard a song right before the puck drop a few times during the season but now I can’t find it. The chorus was either “playin’ the game”, “get in the game” or “winnin’ the game.” It sounded familiar like it may be a song from the WWE but I have not been able to find it. It definitely ISN’T The Game by Motorhead. It kind of sounds like Drowning Pool and it’s faster then The Game. I have that song and it wasn’t the right one. Thanks!

7 April, 2008 at 11:25 pm | Permalink
  49. Gang52Green wrote:

Hey all.
    I was just wondering, what is the song that plays when the Capitals take the ice for games 1 and 2? I know they switch it up during the regular season, but it has remained the same so far. (And it sounds SO cool with Wes Johnson’s booming voice.)

13 April, 2008 at 10:00 pm | Permalink
  50. @ Gang Green:
    The music played as the Caps skate out is an instrumental version of “Thriller” by Fall Out Boy.
    Some other new tracks for the playoffs:
    “Waiting” by Michael Tolcher played prior to lights going down
    First open song is “The Pilot’s Theme” from the Stealth soundtrack
    Second open song is “The Time (Olympic Mix)” by The Crystal Method
    Third open song is Papa Roach’s “To Be Loved”
    Then “Thriller” as the team hits the ice.

14 April, 2008 at 10:41 am | Permalink
  51. dave wrote:

For games 1 and 2 what is the very first song they play during warmups? It sounds like the chorus is “stand up” or “stand down” I can’t tell. I’m talking about the warmups that occur 30 minutes before the game.

15 April, 2008 at 9:06 pm | Permalink
  52. CapsFan wrote:

Great list! One more to add — a song being played more often in the past month (sometimes after fan voting) is “List of Demands (Reparations)” by Saul Williams, made famous by the Nike commercial running on TV this Spring.

17 April, 2008 at 4:35 am | Permalink
  53. dave wrote:

HELP!!!! They played the song again during the pre-game warmups for game 6 today. It is the first song as soon as they come out….It is awesome!!! Someone has to know it

20 April, 2008 at 1:04 am | Permalink
  54. Bill wrote:

I was not at the game but it sounds like it may either be Stand Up by Trapt or Step Up by Drowning Pool. I hope that helps!

20 April, 2008 at 4:33 pm | Permalink
  55. Mike wrote:

Does anyone know the song that has the lyrics “let it out” its kinda slow and then builds up towards those lyrics. It was played in game 7 in the 1st period.

23 April, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
  56. Tracey wrote:

Great List! I’ve been trying to do this on my own and never got very far. Of course, the first song that came to mind when I started process is the only one I don’t remember seeing in the list or comments. It’s Disturbed’s 10,000 Fists. You hear it before they take the ice for practice.

21 August, 2008 at 2:49 am | Permalink
  57. 12 October, 2008 at 2:00 pm | Permalink
  58. Eric wrote:

ok, so when wes johnson (arena announcer) presents the starting lineups, what is the song playing in the background when he’s presenting the starting 6??? i’ve looked everywhere for it!

12 October, 2008 at 5:09 pm | Permalink
  59. Jarrod wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of “Ice Breakers, Goal Shakers, the Caps”?

17 December, 2008 at 2:24 pm | Permalink
  60. sean wrote:

anyone know the song they play in the warm ups? it sounds like he is saying rollin rollin roll or somthing

21 December, 2008 at 9:49 pm | Permalink
  61. OrderedChaos (Mike Rucki) wrote:

Sean, do you remember which game you heard that song? They rotate the playlist and I don’t know it offhand, so if you can get me a gamedate I may be able to get the song name.

22 December, 2008 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
  62. sean wrote:

it was during the st. louis game

3 January, 2009 at 12:00 am | Permalink
  63. Haze694 wrote:

Anybody know what songs they played at Jan. 13, 2009 warm ups? Something like “You better run?” It was hard to hear the exact words. Thanks!

16 January, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Permalink
  64. haze694 wrote:

Maybe the song is Crackerman by Stone Temple Pilots? I’ve heard it played at several different games. I’m still trying to find the song I’m asking about in my post #62. Hope this is the song you’re looking for…

25 January, 2009 at 12:35 am | Permalink
  65. Capsfan19 wrote:

that song is you better pray by the red jumpsuit apparatus :)
    does anyone know what song they play when semin scores?

3 March, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink
  66. Jon wrote:

The very first music we hear is a guitar strumming pretty quick. Do you know the name of the song that is associated with?

18 March, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Permalink
  67. Chris wrote:

Anyone know what song it is that sounds like they keep saying “Stay Down” in the chorus?

23 March, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Permalink
  68. AL wrote:

It’s the intro from Warehouse by Dave Matthews

18 April, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Permalink
  69. Sophie wrote:

What song do they play during the video that starts 2 minutes before the second period? It sounds like they’re saying “take it take it take it” something something something “to die for to die for” or it might be “to power to power” something something….

25 April, 2009 at 8:23 pm | Permalink
  70. mac wrote:

Devour-Shindown

2 May, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Permalink
  71. sean wrote:

chris the song is called hour 1 by the scorpions

13 May, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Permalink
  72. William wrote:

Anyone know the music they use at verizon for the away team scoring on us or the penalty kill? Sounds like a TV show theme but I’d really like to know what it is.

23 May, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink
  73. Kathleen wrote:

I am sadly behind all of you guys, but my 12 year-old son likes the song that is played when the Caps score. Can you let me know what it is? Thanks.

7 June, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Permalink
  74. Haze694 wrote:

I think the song you’re looking for is Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation.

21 September, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Permalink
  75. cole lankford wrote:

anyone know the song the caps play when the away team scores

3 December, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Permalink
  76. MetalEsq wrote:

Any chance we can get an updated list for the 2009/10 season? I’ve been trying to create one on my own, but am not getting too far.

23 December, 2009 at 12:04 am | Permalink
  77. Kelly wrote:

Does anyone know what songs they play during the Caps PP?

12 February, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Permalink
  78. Mitchell H wrote:

Doe any of you guys now the name of this song before the game starts, it goes something like this “But who’s it gonna be I have none to see na na na na na na” Thanks

23 February, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Permalink
  79. Josh wrote:

Ive recently heard Hell Yeah by Rev Theory. And they also used it as their goal song for a portion of the year in 09

21 December, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink
  80. Joah wrote:

What is the song that starts with an acoustic guitar and then everyone yells “Woo”?

2 February, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Permalink
  81. Joah, it’s Warehouse by the Dave Matthews Band.

3 February, 2011 at 7:42 am | Permalink
  82. Josh wrote:

Thanks Gary

3 February, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink
  83. Daveothebraveo wrote:

I’m here also in search of the answer to Chris’ question, #67 , what band and song that is that says “stay down” in the chorus

24 April, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink