I spent a recent Capitals game Behind the Screens with the team’s in-game production crew. One of the gems of the visit for me (a former DJ and continued music geek) was talking about the in-game music.
So here, Capitals fans, is a list of the songs the production team plays at Capitals games. They mix in other tunes now and then, but for the 2007-08 season these are the core songs you’ve been hearing in the Verizon Center each game.
I’ve dug up links to each song on iTunes (where available) if you’d like to make your own Capitals-themed CD or playlist–perhaps you can dub in your own Caps-themed music while watching the team’s road trip on television these next two weeks.
If you do decide to burn a CD, feel free to use the image at the right as your cover (click the image and select Save As for a 4.7″x4.7″ 300dpi version, 1410×1410 pixels).
- The Pretender – Foo Fighters (opening video)
- Welcome To The Jungle – Guns N’ Roses
- Sleep Now In The Fire – Rage Against The Machine
- Thunderstruck – AC/DC (sadly not available on iTunes, but here’s the CD on Amazon for 8 bucks)
- Song 2 – Blur
- Zombie Nation – Kernkraft 400
- Firestarter – The Prodigy
- Rock and Roll & Immigrant Song – Led Zeppelin (check out Viking Kittens to decipher Immigrant Song‘s lyrics, and for a laugh as well)
- Paralyzer – Finger Eleven
- Ruby – Kaiser Chiefs
- Fuel – Metallica
- Misery Business – Paramore
- Sandstorm – Darude
- C’mon C’mon – The Von Bondies
- Starlight – Muse
- Believe – The Bravery
- When We Were Young & All These Things That I’ve Done – The Killers
- Crazy Train – Ozzy Osbourne (Technically they use the ‘Ozzy featuring Madonna’ remix of this song, but for better or worse–probably for better–I couldn’t find it on YouTube or Amazon.)
- Kashmir – Bond (instrumental Zeppelin cover)
- Galvanize – The Chemical Brothers
- Danger! (High Voltage) – The Electric Six
- Warehouse – Dave Matthews Band
- Minnie the Moocher – Cab Calloway (the “Hi-de-Hi-de-Hi-de-Hi” video clip — sadly they don’t have the great Blue Brothers live version on iTunes but check out YouTube or buy the soundtrack)
- The Beautiful People – Marilyn Manson (not played as much lately, but still a classic)
- Solsbury Hill – Peter Gabriel
- Thriller – Fall Out Boy
- Blister In The Sun – Violent Femmes (walk-in music)
- Beautiful Day & Elevation – U2 (victory songs)
- The Hockey Song – Stompin’ Tom Connors (sadly not on iTunes or downloadable on Amazon)
Or if you’d prefer to buy them all, here’s an iMix of the entire song list (minus Thunderstruck, Minnie, and The Hockey Song).
If you have any hockey arena favorites not on the list (e.g., Rush’s Tom Sawyer), or ones you’re pretty sure you’ve heard at Capitals games this season, feel free to add ‘em as comments. Enjoy!