23 April, 2014

Quintin Laing, Human Jersey Wall

Thursday night at Verizon Center was our first opportunity to catch up with Quintin Laing after his human sacrifice performance Monday night in Pittsburgh. Recall that in leading the Caps’ kill of a Pens’ 5-on-3 man advantage in sudden death OT then, en route to the Caps’ shootout victory,¬†Laing threw his body seemingly at each and every point blast the Pens tried. Like you, we saw a euphoric Alexander Ovechkin recognize Laing’s efforts on the bench at the end of overtime Monday night, and we wanted to know what the GR8 had said to him.
We also wanted to know how in a role that doesn’t necessarily lend itself to statistical analysis Laing evaluated his contributions to the team. On this question we received a most telling response:¬†He evaluates his effectiveness on whether or not the Caps win each night — he takes it most personally if the opposition scores a goal when he’s on the ice. And that conspicuous courage component of his? Here’s his creed: “If I had a broken bone I’d go out there — it’s the NHL, nothing’s gonna keep me out.”
Lastly, we wanted to know how his family reacted to the courageous and indeed at times dangerous style of play he’s adopted in D.C. It pains us at times to see the abuse he regularly absorbs. Imagine¬†the concern¬†his family must have!¬†¬†¬†¬†

1. Andrew wrote:

This is the kind of heart and soul that makes good teams contenders.
    I am just saying….

25 January, 2008 at 5:36 pm | Permalink
  2. maruk wrote:

The dude deserves his own fanclub, definitely. But what do you call it? The Q Balls? Nope. Q’s Queue? Nope.
    Maybe folks should just show up dressed as Desmond Llewelyn.

25 January, 2008 at 5:50 pm | Permalink
  3. K wrote:

Maybe instead of the fanclub it could be the FANGclub!

25 January, 2008 at 6:41 pm | Permalink
  4. Kim wrote:

So glad they paired him with Ovie at the STH party. The #53 signature on my jersey is one of my favorites.
    This guy is the epitomy of what I think of when I think of hockey players!

25 January, 2008 at 10:51 pm | Permalink
  5. hockeygrl_76 wrote:

I love that man!!! I’m so glad he’s here!!!!!!

26 January, 2008 at 1:38 am | Permalink
  6. Chad Long wrote:

Imm not gay, but if I was, I’d want to be with a guy like Laing.

26 January, 2008 at 2:09 am | Permalink
  7. Chris Poisal wrote:

Just to add a little more to the lore of Lainger. Last year in the Calder Cup Finals, he played in Game 5 with either a partially torn ligament or an extremely severe ligament sprain in his knee.The guy could barely walk the morning of the game. And in true Lainger fashion he was throwing his body infront of pucks to help his team win.

26 January, 2008 at 2:55 am | Permalink
  8. Chris wrote:

Can we get this guy a pre-game face shot for the big screen now? I mean, for the love of Pete, when he starts at Verizon Center they have to show him live while they show all the other players’ close-ups. I think he’s earned it.

27 January, 2008 at 6:13 pm | Permalink
  9. Agreed Chris, a big-screen headshot for Quintin is long overdue.

27 January, 2008 at 7:22 pm | Permalink