The Washington Capitals’ Alexander Ovechkin and Mike Green paid a visit on Wednesday to Williamsburg Middle School in Arlington. Led by Capitals Assistant Coach Dean Evason, the two stars showed the excited students how to stick-handle, pass, and shoot, with a handful of lucky fans joining them for each of the lessons.
But first, Evason hosted a brief Q&A, fielding questions from the crowd. One youngster asked, “How many teeth have you lost?” Two for Mike Green. Then Ovie flashed his wide smile, said he’s lost just one tooth, then said “I have it with me!” (which drew quite the “eeeewwwww!” reaction from the audience).
“Is it worth losing teeth to play hockey?” another student asked. Mike Green quipped in reply, “Did you hear about Ovie’s contract?” [Why yes. Yes we did.] After some laughter, Green said he’s happy to trade a few teeth for a chance to win the Cup–and I’m certain many a fan would join Green in his dental sacrifice to bring the Capitals a championship.
Of course, the students really got excited when lines of seven boys and seven girls teamed up with the players (Ovie was with the girls) for a spirited game of floor hockey.
Other fun moments:
- Ovechkin stepping on the plastic blade of his hockey stick, trying to increase the curve, and goofily showing off to Green while doing it (“Greenie! Check it out!”).
- During the stickhandling session, Ovechkin started bouncing the ball on the blade of his stick. Evasaon said, “That’s something special for Alex… Green, don’t try that.” (see video below)
- Green’s end-to-end rush being foiled by a child’s stick blocking his shot.
- Ovechkin’s incredulous laughter as Green gave him a good shoulder bump and stole the ball.
- A child’s father waxing ecstatic about the “fantastic” Kettler Iceplex and how much he enjoys skating there with his son.
Ovechkin (now sporting a less-shaggy look) best summed up his and Mike Green’s enthusiasm for the day, delivered with his trademark grin: “We’re all like kids sometimes . . . the best time in your life [is] when you’re a kid.” More photos after the break.