Japers’ Rink let the Capitals’ limited season ticket survey out of the bag that once again broached the subject of “Ice Girls”. Neither OrderedChaos nor I received the season ticket survey, so we don’t know if it included more than the five questions mentioned by Japers’.
Although we have pondered the idea of Washington Capitals’ Ice Girls, we don’t know if this is a done deal or not. Most of the other teams have already held their tryouts. Is Washington behind the curve, so to speak? Or have super secret auditions already been held and ice girls are ready to hit the ice on September 8th?
In any case, we were curious as to how many other teams have such squads. The answers may surprise you.
- Anaheim Ducks – Power Players
- Atlanta Thrashers – Blue Crew
- Boston Bruins Ice Girls
- Calgary Flames – Ice Crew
- Carolina Hurricanes – Storm Squad
- Chicago Blackhawks – Ice Crew
- Columbus Blue Jackets (who actually have 2 groups) – Power Patrol & Ice Crew
- Dallas Stars – Ice Girls
- Florida Panthers – Ice Dancers
- Nashville Predators (who also have 2 groups) Goal Girls & Dancers
- NY Islanders – Ice Girls
- Ottawa Senators – Power Patrol (more of a spirit group rather than ice girls/cheerleaders)
- Philadelphia Flyers – Ice Team
- Phoenix Coyotes – The Pack
- Pitsburgh Penguins – Pens Patrol (more of a spirit group rather than ice girls/cheerleaders)
- Tampa Bay – Lightning Girls
- Vancouver Canucks – Ice Team
[update: Dan Steinberg is at Kettler and has not seen any "ice-based cheer persons".]
[update 2: Dan Steinberg received confirmation from Nate Ewell, Director of Media Relations, that there will be no ice-based cheer persons roaming the Phone Booth this season.]