23 April, 2014

Change Is Coming, Including . . . Ice Girls?

Change is Coming - Summer 2007Change is coming this summer, and we know the team will be returning to red, white, and blue when they make the move to the new “uniform system.” What other changes are coming?
Ice Girls?
Back in January, Ted Leonsis attended a Caps game at Tampa and was impressed by the game-day atmosphere, and he mentioned Tampa’s use of ice girls and cheerleaders. He asked for thoughts on the use of ice girls and cheerleaders. At OFB, we ran a poll about ice girls and more than half of the responses were in favour of them.
The following video from the Dallas Stars Ice Girls gives us a look at their job when they aren’t cleaning ice shavings or avoiding Henrik Lundqvist.
[myspace]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2011185222[/myspace]

1. CapsChick wrote:

Oh god…please…no…I’m running out of ways to plead with the males of our species to exercise a little self-restraint, a little libido control if you will. Or at the very least throw in some Ice Boys with the Ice Girls for the females who make up over 40% of the hockey viewing audience.
    Maybe I should just say that watching scantily clad Ice Girls will make me unable to stomach my $8 beer and I’ll have to refrain from buying any concessions at all. That may be a language they understand…

27 April, 2007 at 5:47 pm | Permalink
  2. false_cause wrote:

The Caps would benefit hugely from some sort of cheerleading energy in the stands. Every game, you won’t have a hard time finding moribund sections. Boys, girls, sexy or not, someone bringing a little enthusiasm to the house is only good. No one elects to go to sporting events to see some cheerleaders, but if management taps some emotion and energy by routing through the hind-brain, I don’t have a problem with that.

27 April, 2007 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
  3. *sigh* So not happy about this, but what are you gonna do.

27 April, 2007 at 9:36 pm | Permalink
  4. capsFan wrote:

This is an awful idea. Why can’t the NHL in general stick with what made them popular in the first place? A fast, exciting game, with lot’s of hitting and a few fisticuffs thrown in from time to time! These gimmicks are getting old….

27 April, 2007 at 10:03 pm | Permalink
  5. strungout wrote:

Sign me up.

28 April, 2007 at 3:23 am | Permalink
  6. 28 April, 2007 at 10:14 pm | Permalink
  7. no wrote:

horrible idea

28 April, 2007 at 10:27 pm | Permalink
  8. TSNinsider wrote:

Great….
    Now I’ll have to work harder to convince the guys not to put these girls in the highlight packs.

29 April, 2007 at 5:46 am | Permalink
  9. Cathy W wrote:

I think this is a really terrible idea. I like that the Caps promote youth hockey by using Ice Kids. I also hope they don’t get a cheerleading squad for many reasons. I don’t see cheerleaders as creating energy at Verizon. If they were on the lower level, many people at Verizon wouldn’t actually hear them during the game (I doubt that the could find a group of people with Goat’s vocal ability). If you want “organized cheering,” just keep using the jumbotron prompts. What’s really needed is more spontaneous cheering on the part of Caps fans and finding ways to encourage that. As far as being able to have “Ice Girls” attend promotional events as well as workng at games, such a squad of Ice Girls would consist of paid employees of the Caps. I’d rather the Caps spend the money to improve the hockey team, not on Ice Girle. If the Caps having some burning desire to improve the in-game experience for those who are easily bored during breaks in play, I would not mind returning to having an actual in-game host, instead of the game announcer, for the contests during breaks in play and intermissions. But only if they could find someone who was actually good at doing that job (unlike the last two).

29 April, 2007 at 9:10 pm | Permalink